Sunday, November 8, 2009

Beautiful Flying Weekend



Wow! What a perfect flying weekend. Mild temps, light breezes and abundant sunshine. Doesn't get much better than this in the Northeast in November.

Despite a to-do list that is out of control, I managed to squeeze in 0.8 in N94006 on Saturday morning. Had initially planned to fly to PTW and then home via a low approach at Van Sant (no grass in the rental). Saturday morning I thought I'd change the plans and make a stop at N10, but a briefing for busy jump operations made me decide otherwise. In the end, I just decided to sight see. I flew up and over Van Sant at 1000' above TPA and then just took my time coming home across the north end of Lake Nockamixon and then over Lake Galena before joining the pattern at Doylestown.

I knew the weather would bring people out of the woodwork to go flying, and tried to get airborne on the earlier side of the day. I was also exhaused from work and school this week so I didn't do a dawn patrol. I had a reservation from 9:30 - 11am, but got there around 9am. Temps the night prior had dropped to about 28 and there was still frost on the cars when I left, so I drove to the airport fully expecting to have to de-ice. Much to my delight, the sun had worked it's magic and 006 was frost-free when I preflighted. Leading Edge wasn't pre-heating on Saturday so I primed liberally and let her idle for a while before taxiing to the hold short line. Take off and climb were nice and smooth and the old 152 didn't do badly in the cool morning air. Radio was busy and almost immediatley I was looking for traffic. Lots of back and forth with other guys sharing the airspace but everyone's position calls were clear.

On the way home from Nockamixon, I cruised in via Lake Galena with the intent of entering the pattern on an extended crosswind. Just as I made the call, a twin Cessna inbound from the west announced his intent to also enter on the crosswind. Knowing that he further out but much faster, I initiated and called a 360 for spacing, for which he thanked me. This is where it gets interesting. I flew the 360 and re-established the extended crosswind, announcing the whole way. Just then, I see a small high wing (TriPacer, I think) climbing out on the upwind between myself and the twin Cessna. No biggie, I know the plane and believe he flies NORDO. But hot on his tail is a red and white RV. Mind you, the twin Cessna and I have been making clear position calls and the RV called his departure so I know he's on the radio. He takes off and climbs like a bandit aiming right for me! I call my position and ask him to confirm that he has me in sight... no reply. I expedited my turn to downwind and he climbs out behind and below me. By this time there's also a Mooney that is following me on the crosswind, whom this renegade RV cuts between. I call the midfield downwind because now I can't see the RV, and the Mooney gives me a head's up that the RV is very close. "Don't worry" the RV pilot now replies, we're departing to the SE. With that, he passes me from behind off my right wing at the same altitude! I made a sweet landing and probably could have made the first taxiway if I'd really wanted to. Cleaned her up and went around again. Another nice landing wrapped up a nice morning of flying.

Check out this picture. This plane landed gear up at Doylestown on Friday. I was told that is was not a mechanical failure, but simple pilot error. Apparently the guy was flying in for some sort of meeting with the local DPE. Bummer.




On another note, I'm thinking about enrolling in an Instrument Rating ground course at Doylestown in January. It's like $279 and runs two nights a week for a month. I haven't mentioned it to Kelly yet until I decide whether it's a good idea. Any thoughts? Anybody interested in joining me?




No comments:

Post a Comment