Sunday, October 18, 2009

Van Sant Airport (9N1)

My plane is back on the rental line but the wx's been IFR for days. I needed some sort of flying fix, so I packed the kids in the car this morning and headed up to Van Sant. I have one landing at 9N1 in my logbook but that was about 5 years ago, so I thought it would be fun to stop by and take a look.

It's a great little grass strip airport, located only about 9nm from KDYL. This little gem is practially in our back yard. It has all the characteristics of a true, classic airport, including a turf strip. I've always wanted to get my tailwheel endorsement and just recently added it to my short flying to-do list.

The kids were sound asleep when I got to Van Sant so I wasn't able to go into the FBO to say hello. Seeing the grass strip in person got me motivated to pursue the tailwheel endorsement, and I called when I get home to get some more info on what would be required. Sadly, I was told that Sport Aviation is going out of business next week and the future of their planes and instruction is in jeopardy. They told me to call after November 1 to see if the J3 would still be available for instruction and rental.

I'm bummed but not totally surprised. I saw a post a few weeks ago on AirNav noting that the owner's retirement was imminent... just didn't imagine that it would happen this quickly. Keeping my fingers crossed that things remain as they are with the new owners. In the meantime, I've rekindled my interest in the grass. I have an upcoming BFR and may seek permission to work on the grass operations and take the plane into 9N1.











2 comments:

  1. I need to get some landings on turf. 355 hours in the log and not one landing on the natural green stuff...this will change.

    Let's all hope Van Sant remains open!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a impromtu fly-in to Van Sant is needed for all us pavement pounders.....

    ReplyDelete