Friday, November 13, 2009

I think I'm going to do it...



Tailwheel. Yep. I'm going for it!

This has long been a dream of mine. My non-equity prospects have dried up. I'm in grad school through August so pursuing the IR in earnest right now is probably foolish. And our recent house appraisal was shocking and disappointing so now's not the best time to dive into full share ownership. I think that the tailwheel time might be the perfect way for me to do something new in flying without a huge financial or time commitment. Plus, I'm certain that it will help improve my technical skills.

My BFR expires at the end of November and I'm budgeting 6-10 hours for the tailwheel. While the endorsement would qualify as my BFR, I realize that my schedule, the weather and turf condition (VanSant is grass) may make this a several-week process. I don't want to be grounded if I let my BFR expire, so my plan is to knock that out at DYL in the next few weeks and then get on schedule up at Van Sant.

I was up there this morning and the place just overflows with classic airport charm. Bud was working the FBO desk at the new Vintage Aero and very graciously let me go snoop around the hangar. All I can say is "wow!" I had Delaney with me, and she and I cracked the big metal hangar door and peeked inside. Utterly amazing.

The photo below does not do justice to the collection of aircraft in the hangar at Van Sant. For the next 20 minutes she and I respectfully gawked at the planes. On this quiet, rainy, windy morning, Delaney and I stood alone in this hangar surrounded by flying time machines. Even she seemed to sense the significance of the moment. It was quite an experience.

We left as quietly as we'd entered, pulling the huge hangar door closed to keep out the howling winds. I am excited to return, hopefully next time behind the controls of the J3.




No comments:

Post a Comment