Thursday, December 3, 2009

Two flights in one week!




Two flights in one week may not seem like a cause for celebration, but given how busy I've been lately with work, school and the kids, it's nothing short of a miracle.

The flying week started with a Sunday afternoon hop. I'd planned to log a long x-c out to Zerby, until Rob sent me a text on Saturday afternoon saying that a couple of POA guys were working on a lunch meet up at Chester County. So I quickly changed my plans, pulled the right airport kneeboard plates from AOPA, and flew on Sunday to meet the guys. Had a great time. Got to chat with Rob and meet his daughter Ally; finally got to meet Gary Mascelli in person (feel like I've known him for years); and had the pleasure of being introduced to Dave (M35) and Ron Levy. I could have spent all afternoon sitting at the table at The Flying Machine Cafe, but I had the rental "Cinderella Cessna" that I had to have back by 4pm so I had to cut lunch short. Had a nice tailwind on the way home and walked through the gate at DYL at 3:59:56. Would have had the keys on the counter right at 4pm, but somebody who was watching airplanes pulled me aside with a hundred questions and so I was still technically "late." Oh well, nobody was waiting.

Made it back to the airport on Tuesday for the flying portion of my BFR. Was breezy all day but winds were forecast to calm down as the sun set. We taxiied out at 4:25 and, just as predicted, things began to settle. My reservation was moved to 6086G because the landing light in 789'er was inop. Kian had me do a short field takeoff followed by a downwind departure. Once we were a safe distance from the field he had me run through the usual maneuvers... slow flight, power off stall, power on stall. A few turns to headings and then he pulled the engine on me. Field made, we were off to ARD for some VOR work and then into TTN for some pattern work. TTN was busy and I wasn't quite used to 86G, so Kian helped with the radios and pointed out traffic as I set up as #3 in right traffic with #1 and #2 flying a left hand pattern. Finally saw the traffic we were to follow and was able to turn towards the runway. First landing was acceptible, albeit not perfect. I still struggle with the varying sight pictures as I jump between different models of aircraft. My speeds were right on but I was a little early with the flare and dropped it in with modest thump. Made it a touch and go and made left traffic for another attempt. This one was much better... a greaser, in fact. Having demonstrated that I could indeed land, Kian had me track back to ARD and we were on our way home.

It was pitch black by now and I hadn't flown into DYL after dark, so we used the time to play with the REILs and Kian pointed out landmarks to help me find the field after dark. Shot a straight in approach for 23 and was right on the speeds and glideslope the whole way. Just as we came across the road before the threshold, Kian called a go around. Back in the pattern I got a few more minutes to take in the awesome nighttime scenery and full moon. For this one Kian wanted a short field landing. I flew this pattern tight and was high on final, so I slipped it in aggressively to burn off altitute without gaining airspeed. Slip was textbook and I hit the numbers right on speed with a picture perfect landing. Probably could have made the first taxiway but I didn't want to risk smoking the tires, so we slowly made our way down the runway to the far taxiway. Kian congratulated me on being signed off for another two years.

Felt good to get the BFR out of the way. I also really like Kian's teaching style, so I'm relieved to have found another CFI-I since Travis left to go back to Nebraska. My two days of flying, in addition to the hassle of having to get the rental home on time, have also reignited my itch to own. Still no decent leads on partnerships at DYL, though. And, despite recommendations to the contrary, I'm still thinking that I C150 could be the perfect first plane. I know that it won't fit my long term family hauling mission, but I really don't think that I want to pile the family in for trips until I've got at least 300 hours or so. Which means that my near term mission is really just time building. More specifically, cheap time building. With reasonable purchase prices, simple mx, and 6gph, the 150 seems to fit this bill. Useful load is still a concern, but I could deal with that.

I was on Barnstormers on Monday and came across an ad for a C150 at Doylestown. I know the plane but there wasn't a sign so I didn't realize that it was for sale. Asking price is $16,500 which, for a short time, got me excited. It's a 1966, however, and it just looked and felt old. The panel was ancient and poorly laid out. Paint was fair to decent (2001) and interior was servicable. It also had an off field landing in 2000 due to engine failure (mud wasps clogged the fuel vents and starved the engine). But for a little more money I can get something with a better panel, more modern look, and NDH. 1968 or so seem to be when they squared the dash (improving the instrument layout) and got rid of those awful rectangular yokes. By my math, assuming a grass tie down and no major repairs, I think I can own for the same cost as renting between 4-5 hours month. Granted there's the gamble of incurring a major repair plus the hassle of caring for a plane, but I've really got the ownership itch... badly. Now, if I could just come up with the money. Kelly wants me to sell the Jeep, but I haven't come to terms with that decision yet.

Here's what a 1966 C150F with 3452TT/756SMOH looks like. The panel shots got a wicked glare but hopefully you can get the gist. I may test the owner's interest in letting me fly it while he tries to sell, but I think I'd outgrow this particular plane pretty quickly and for just a few AMUs more could buy a lot more niceities (is that a word?) Then again, it's very easy to spend money I don't have.


1 comment:

  1. So nice to finally meet you! I'm sure we will get some flying time in come spring and summer. I agree, I could sit there and hangar fly all day with that bunch.

    I know what you mean about the sight picture. The Sundowner is still making me crazy as I work to keep my altitude. I always feel like I'm nosing the plane over and make trim adjustments. Last weeks breakfast run to CGE was much better, I kept repeating the infomercial.....set it and forget it, it worked.

    ReplyDelete